Thursday 21 June 2007

Carl Valeri heads out to join the Socceroos.

Valeri friends and family farewell Canberra's latest Socceroo.

Copyright: Football in the Capital

From the right: Walter (Dad and ex-NSL player), Matthew (Belconnen United and tormentor of younger brother) girlfriend Suzi and 15.11 beep man Carl Valeri at Canberra Airport.

Socceroo Carl Valeri flew out from Canberra today to join his Australian team-mates in Singapore, as the Socceroos prepare for their first ever Asian Cup Finals tournament. The event held every four years will be hosted in Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia from July 7-29.
Valeri who plays with Grosseto, in Tuscany, in the Italian Serie B has been enjoying his two week break from the pressures of a professional footballer.
“I love being in Canberra. It’s my home, I feel so relaxed here. And it’s hard to leave,” said Valeri speaking at Canberra airport.
“The two weeks has gone fast, Football Federation Australia even rang to make sure I was starting to train. So I joined up with the boys at the AIS for a couple of days training with Rocky, (Coach Steve O’Connor) and Ray Junna. I dropped out of the beep test at 13. I’m normally 15 plus so I was happy with that considering I haven’t been training.”
Former Capital Football President and Dad, Walter Valeri is proud of Carl’s achievements. “I can remember Carl and his brother (Belconnen United defender) Matt running out for Tuggeranong United under 5’s on freezing Canberra mornings. Their shorts covered their knees. “
Carl Valeri will have good support in Thailand. His mother, Julie and Walter will be joining the other Socceroo parents in Bangkok for the group games.
“I’ll miss the first game through work commitments, but I’ll stay until the Socceroos get knocked out. Hopefully they won’t. I’ve had to get visas for Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia.” explained Walter Valeri.
The Asia Football Confederation has acknowledged their mistake in hosting the games of the 2007 Asia Cup in four countries. It has been an organisation nightmare for fans planning to travel to games.
None of this is of concern to Canberra’s latest Socceroo.
“I am excited, it’s a very big thing, but it seems a strange sitting here in Canberra. I’ve been talking to Brett Holman a lot. We are both single, living alone, overseas in Europe. You get two weeks to come home and see family and then you have to go again. It’s not easy. But once the senior players like Mark Viduka, Lucas (Neill) and Harry Kewell come into camp I’ll be focussed. The training, I’m not looking forward to. It'll be hard”
“I don’t know how much game time I’ll get. Obviously Vince Grella is first choice in my position, but I’ll be happy to get any time at all. With the heat I may get the last thirty minutes of a group games. Who knows but I’ll be ready if I get a chance.”
Valeri is seen by Coach Graham Arnold as one for the future. “He’s a mini-Vinnie,”said Arnold referring to holding midfielder Vince Grella, “and we’ll need a lot more players after the tournament as we try and qualify for the World Cup for the first time through Asia.”
Valeri started the last two Socceroo games including his home debut a 2-1 defeat to Uruguay at Telstra Stadium last earlier this month.
“SBS did an interview with me on Monday at the AIS which will be shown on Sunday. I’ve had much more media interest this time than on previous visits home.”
Valeri may have to get use to it. At 22, with a rising profile in Italy and on the International stage he find further visits to Canberra not quite as relaxing!

No comments: